I’ve been planning to put together a Steampunk outfit, just in case I need one at any time – you know how it is…
I was interested in modifying something to make it Steampunk but I still wanted it to function as a real object. I believe the Victorians would not actually have liked the obsession with putting cogs on things for no purpose.
I bought cheap thermometer and hygrometer from the internet (similar to this one).
It arrived today and I unpacked the box.
- On the back of the meter are three pegs used to hold it all together. Prise it apart.
- Pull off the needles (take care with this or you pull out the innards – use a screwdriver to twist them off). Peel off the two meters which are stuck on to the dial.
- Spray the two white plastic parts and the needles with primer. When dry, spray with the metal colour you wish to use (I used brass).
- Scan the dial into a computer and use Photoshop (or similar) to age the image. I used a sepia tint and a texture.
- Cut out the new dial and glue it back on to the original dial. Then glue the mechanisms back on.
- Put it all back together.
This is my first modification and I’m really pleased with the result. Now for that Nerf Gun…